Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there’s a new book-related topic to answer!
This week’s topic is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book – so basically any topic or theme or ANYTHING that will make you instantly want to pick up a book.
- Character-driven: This is such an important aspect to me when it comes to books! I LOVE knowing a character in depth, knowing all their strengths and flaws, the Ins and Outs, just things that help make the character feel more REAL! I hate when a character is flat, dull, boring UGH it makes me lose interest in a book in 0.02 seconds!!!
- If someone tells me a character in the story is like Warner or a relationship is like Warnette from Shatter Me… I’M SOLD!!!!!!
- Diversity: do I even need to explain this
- I will most likely read anything by Tahereh Mafi or Leigh Bardugo, I trust both of them with my life!
- Friendship: Well, not like any friendship because I mean literally EVERY book has friendship in one way or the other but more the powerful bond type of friendship where they go on adventures or missions together and they know that they can rely on each other, they trust each other and you know, they’re trying to make it through difficult situations TOGETHER! I HOPE YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN I DON’T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO EXPLAIN IT!!!!! (I believe the friendship that I am describing here is like the one in Six of Crows??? Again, I haven’t read it yet but I get the impression IT’S THAT KIND OF FRIENDSHIP!!!!! THE ONE THAT I LOVE SO MUCH!!!! Also Kenji and Juliette’s friendship in Shatter Me, PLEASE IT’S THE BEST! Or the Harry Potter friendships! Or the group in the Grisha trilogy; Alina, Nikolai, Zoya, Genya, the lot!!!)
- This kind of has to do with friendship but I really like if there is a strong sibling relationship in a book! Like when you can tell that they really love and care for each other and would do anything for the other! (I don’t mean to make everything about Shatter Me (lol or DO I?!) but something that Adam and James have (I can’t stand Adam but his little brother is his #1 and I admire that) or one of my recent reads that features that is Caraval with Scarlett and Tella! Or Katniss and Prim. Alec and Isabelle. You know it.)
- If a book is about a prince or a prince is involved somehow. It doesn’t even have to be your typical Prince Charming but there’s just something about princes that I love! Oh, and even better if said prince is similar to Nikolai Lantsov. Or generally, if someone tells me a character has similar traits like him! That boy has my heart ❤
- Poetic/Lyrical writing: (this is the last time I’ll mention it I PROMISE) I adore Tahereh’s writing in Shatter Me! I know that it’s not for everyone but I think it’s incredible and it hits me in all the right places! I was also a big fan of the writing in Caraval! BUT the poetic writing has to be good, sometimes it’s just too over the top or dramatic and it annoys meeee!
- If PeruseProject recommends it! She’s probably the only Booktuber I don’t have ANY problems with! She’s just so likeable and I believe she has a great taste in books!
- Tropes I’m a fan of: enemies-to-lovers, fake-dating (mostly in fics, I don’t think I’ve ever read a fake-dating book!), THE NERDY/GEEKY TROPE (I’ve been really loving it recently especially in Geekerella! Quick shoutout to Mandy for the super adorable and nerdy recs <3)
Honorable Mention (or my #11): This is not a necessity but if a book has 4+ stars on Goodreads I am more likely to read it or at least add it to my TBR! I mean, I don’t really care about the opinions of others because I’d always like to form my own (well, I kind of do care… sometimes… but…. you know what I mean) but it’s like OH, this is cool! It must be a good book if it has such a good rating!
That’s it for my Top 10 Things that will make me instantly want to read a book! Can we say Book Turn-Ons? Is that a thing? Well, I just made it a thing 😛
What are some of your favourite tropes/topics/themes/anything that will make you instantly want to read a book? Are some of them on my list? Let’s chat in the comments.